Aerodynamic Characteristics of Multiple Tandem Airfoils in Ansys Fluent
Steady state CFD simulations are performed using Ansys Fluent over NACA 0012 airfoil(s) to investigate aerodynamic characteristics including lift and drag coefficients for single and two airfoils in tandem. The results include the variation of aerodynamic characteristics, pressure and velocity distribution and flow visualization. The present study will serve as a starting point for mechanical and aerospace engineering students to better understand the fundamental concepts associated with external aerodynamics along with the visualization of attached and separated flows.
- Understand external aerodynamics.
- Describe the effect of varying angle of attack on aerodynamic performance.
- Analyze pressure and velocity distribution around an airfoil.
- Explain the phenomenon of stall.
- Optimize the spacing between the leading and trailing airfoil for better performance.
- Fluid Mechanics
- Introduction to Aerodynamics
- Principles of Flight
- External Aerodynamics
- Airplane Performance
- Case study document
- two airfoil simulation files