ANSYS Student Products
ANSYS Student products are introductory software packages for engineering students who are interested in learning the fundamentals of simulation while gaining exposure to our state-of-the-art simulation workflows.
The renewable six-month product license is free and can be downloaded and used by students anywhere in the world. There are two student products:
- AIM Student - Provides access to a version of ANSYS AIM Pro.
- ANSYS Student - Provides access to versions of ANSYS Mechanical, ANSYS CFD, ANSYS Autodyn, ANSYS Workbench, and ANSYS DesignXplorer.
Both student products are limited only in the size of the problems that can be solved, and can be installed on any supported MS Windows 64-bit machine.
The ANSYS Student product licenses are for personal educational purposes. The analysis work performed with ANSYS Student must be non-proprietary, and the product may not be used for competitive analysis (such as benchmarking) or for any commercial work.
Self-guided technical support for the ANSYS Student products is provided through the Support Resources. The support includes installation videos, FAQs for troubleshooting help and several introductory tutorials that show you how to perform basic simulations. Please note that we do not provide online or face-to-face technical support for this free product. We advise you to follow our download and installation instructions very carefully.
- Case Studies
- White Papers
Download now and learn the fundamentals of simulation while gaining experience on your way to becoming an engineering leaders of tomorrow.
The ANSYS Student products are problem-size limited versions of ANSYS AIM Pro, ANSYS Mechanical, ANSYS CFD, ANSYS Autodyn, ANSYS Workbench, and ANSYS DesignXplorer. The products are on MS Windows 64-bit machines.
Problem size limits:
|AIM Student||ANSYS Student|
|Structural Physics||100K nodes/elements||32K nodes/elements|
|Fluid physics||1 Million cells||512K cells/nodes|
Product data sheets
By selecting “Agree” below, you agree that: (1) The software license you are downloading is an Educational License and will be used solely by you for personal educational purposes; (2) The analysis work performed with the program(s) must be non-proprietary work; (3) The program(s) may not be used for competitive analysis (such as benchmarking) or for any commercial activity, including consulting; (4) The license does not include any Technical Enhancements or Technical Support beyond the self-guided support material provided on the Support Resources webpage; (5) U.S. export laws apply to this software and you are responsible for complying with those laws; (6) The Click Wrap Software License Agreement that will appear during installation of the software will govern this and any subsequent licenses downloaded through this student web page.
ANSYS Student Product Technical Support Policy
By selecting "Agree" below you are also acknowledging that we do not provide any online or face-to-face technical support for ANSYS Student products. We do provide the ANSYS Student product Installation Help and Support Resources sections, which includes a FAQ sheet for troubleshooting help and several how to, tech tips and introductory tutorials that show you how to perform basic simulations. We advise you to follow our download and installation instructions very carefully.
ANSYS Student Software Download
To download the software select from the following options then select the "Download" button. We recommend that you download the latest release.
Download Time Estimates
These are large files and your internet connection speed ( and connection overhead) will determine how long the download will take. Here's a rough guide:
|Download Speed (Mbps)||Download Time for File Size of 3.9 GBytes|
|1.544 Mbps (DS1, T1)||5 Hrs 20 mins|
|10 Mbps (10Base-T)||49 mins|
|25.6 Mbps (ATM25)||19 mins|
|51 Mbps (OC1)||9 mins|
- Ensure that your computer meets the technical requirements necessary to run the software. Please see the product data sheet for details.
- Ensure that you have Administrator privileges for the computer you are installing this product on.
- Uninstall any existing ANSYS, Inc. products present on your computer. The ANSYS Student installation will overwrite any existing installations.
- Make sure that you have your license key available. This is a separate download covered in the "Free Download" section.
- Please review our Installation Guide and FAQs.
For installing student products, see the installation videos or follow the installation steps given below in part 1, part 2, and part 3.
Installation Steps - Part 1 - ANSYS Student Product Installation:
- Extract (Unzip) the downloaded installation files.
- Run setup.exe from the extracted files. Right-click on setup.exe and select Run as Administrator.
- Click the Install ANSYS, Inc. Products text.
- Read and accept the click wrap to continue.
- Click the Next button to accept the default values throughout the installation.
- Important: Skip over the "Enter License Server Specification" step. DO NOT enter any port information or otherwise install the ANSYS LIcense Manager.
- After the installation is completed, click Next and a message marked ***Important*** displays indicating that the installation is complete.
- Check the survey box at the bottom if you wish to submit the survey.
- Click the Exit button.
- Your are now back to the Release Installation home page. Be sure to NOT select any other options as these aren't supported by the ANSYS Student license. Do not select License Manager Installation.
- Click the Exit Button to close the installer.
- The ANSYS Student software is now installed.
- Next, follow the steps in Part 2 below.
Installation Steps - Part 2 - ANSYS License File Installation:
- Download the license file - ansys_student_<yyyymmdd>.lic - to your computer. The <yyyymmdd> portion of the filename indicates the expiration date of the license file.
- Extract the downloaded license file and note the location where you save it to:
- We recommend moving the license file to C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing, but you can also put the license file on your desktop.
- Do not put the license file in a Temp directory
- Do not save this license file using the MS Word format.
C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\ansys_student_20160131.lic
- Follow these steps to set an environment variable in MS Windows:
- Open the Control Panel
- Select System and Security
- Select System
- Select Advanced system settings
- Click the Environment Variables button
- Select the New button under System variables
- Note that there will be several environment variables with very similar names already present. Be careful to use this EXACT environment variable name.
Installation Steps - Part 3 - Running the ANSYS Student product:
After completing Parts 1 and 2 of the installation, we recommend rebooting your machine. Then the best way to run ANSYS Student is from the start menu.
- Go to the Start Menu and either select Workbench [version #] OR select All Programs, then select the ANSYS [version #] folder, and select Workbench [version #].
- The ANSYS Student Workbench project page will launch.
- Congratulations you are now ready to start using ANSYS Student!
If you run into any problems following the above instructions then be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions.