Last updated February 3, 2021
ANSYS, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates take seriously the protection of your Personal Data (generally meaning information and data that can identify you as a person, and as defined and explained further in Section III below). ANSYS, Inc. is a United States corporation, incorporated in the state of Delaware, United States of America, located at 2600 Ansys Dr., Canonsburg, PA 15317.
This Global Privacy Notice ("Notice") applies to all Personal Data we process about you, your household, or your device (collectively, "you"), including: (a) information collected on www.ansys.com and any other related sites or platforms (including mobile access) where this Notice is linked (collectively, the "Sites"); and (b) information provided by you when you request information related to Ansys or Ansys services and products, and information provided or made available to us through your actions (such as when you purchase, download, or use Ansys applications, interact with us on social media, register or attend an Ansys or third-party event, request information about our services or products, or download whitepapers or other Ansys content) (collectively, the "Services"). This Notice explains how we collect, use, retain, and share ("Process" or "Processing") your Personal Data and what rights you have relating to your Personal Data. If any additional terms govern the Processing of Personal Data, we will provide you with additional information or notice at that time.
By visiting the Sites or by using the Services, you acknowledge the practices described in this Notice, which was last updated on the date listed above. We may occasionally revise this Notice. Remember, it is in your interest to periodically review this Notice and to understand these terms. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org; we love discussing these topics!
II. Who are we?
When this Notice refers to "Ansys", or "we", "us" or "our", this includes ANSYS, Inc. and its family of related subsidiaries and affiliates located throughout the world. Additionally, Ansys has many: (a) "Service Providers," which are data processors providing services to Ansys that are contractually limited in their usage of Personal Data; (b) "Third Party Sellers," which are un-related companies selling third party products on an Ansys hosted site (including the Ansys Store at https://catalog.ansys.com); (c) "Business Partners," which are un-related companies that Ansys engages with for specific business purposes or solutions like co-development, co-management, co-presenting, co-sponsoring, distributing, etc., and (d) "Channel Partners" which are un-related companies that are authorized resellers of Ansys products or services (Business Partners and Channel Partners are collectively referred to as "Partners").
III. What information do we collect?
For the purposes of this Notice, "Personal Data" means information that, either separately or together with other identifying information, can identify you as an individual.
Most Personal Data we Process is provided directly by you when you register for or use the Services. This information may include:
- contact information – full name, job title or function, company name, department, email address, physical mailing address and country, telephone number, and user name;
- professional information – job description and related information, such as job function or reporting structure; company details, such as the size or number of employees; professional or trade publications to which you subscribe and related trainings attended;
- account registration data - certain professional information and a unique password, which may be paired with an activation code specific to the license(s) you've purchased or are entitled to use;
- transaction information – your contact information; the types of products that interest you; your purchasing requirements; and billing and payment information;
- license fulfillment and verification information – for certain Services, we may collect and pair device information together with your Ansys User Account or registered email address in order to manage active licenses associated with you or your account; and our license verification may require us to compare this device ID and account data against active licenses using an internet connection to your device, both at activation and as part of a regular refresh function for license terms (more details can be found in the license terms and product descriptions for individual products and services);
- support for our Services - when you contact us for support related to the Services, you may provide us your contact information, device or network information, product IDs, and logs of your use of our Services (which may include IP address, hostname, MAC address, and/or other device and network identifiers, location data, contact information, and usage data pertaining to when and how you use the Services);
- data analytics –
- when using our Services, certain deidentified analytics data, such as feature usage, account segmentation information, license usage information, and error information, may be communicated back to us for product improvement purposes; and
- for some Services, Ansys may collect Personal Data related to your use of the Product, however, you will need to expressly opt-in to collection of such analytics data in order to receive additional offerings, such as insights into your usage of licensed products and to assist with troubleshooting for customer support.
- responses to surveys – information you provide in responding to a survey (including on a Site, via an app, social media, email, on the telephone, or otherwise), testimonials or other feedback related to the Services, which may be paired with your account, name, title, and/or company name; or comments or posts you publish on any Sites or linked to your Ansys User Account.
We may also Process Personal Data obtained through your access to the Sites, and your use of or access to the Services, including:
- location information - location signals originating from a device (where enabled); location information received from social media networks, sensor or IP address data; and the country from which a request is received;
- cookies, pixels and beacons - information from cookies, web beacons, pixels, or from the internet, including your IP address, browser type, operating system, domain name, access times, which pages you visit within a Site, referring website addresses, how you use a Site (including the types of products and events that interest you, how you navigate through a Site, and articles you download); For additional information, please see our full Cookies Policy;
- preferences - information related to your industry, your preferred communication type and types of products that may interest you based on your activity on the Sites or use of the Services;
- device identifiers - which may also be linked to your username, account or registered email address, to enable our license compliance process;
- social media – we may receive Personal Data about you when you connect with another site (such as Facebook, WeChat, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.), and you may check your settings and review any data sharing polices of these sites;
- chat and call records – support logs, transcripts, and recordings and playbacks of any calls, videos, or chats for fraud detection, quality assurance, product improvements, sales, and training purposes;
- licensing - data regarding any unlicensed, theft or unauthorized access to or use of Services; and
- marketing – we use third-party marketing services to send and track receipt of communications to our customers generally, and to analyze the pattern of those communications for trust and security purposes, as well as to gather data, such as inquiry and use data, to continue the marketing and promotion of Services that may interest to you, develop and send relevant communications based on your interaction with Ansys and displayed interest in Ansys Services, and assist us in better understanding our customers' interests generally.
We may also Process Personal Data obtained from Service Providers and Partners. This may include:
- Information provided when you sign up for a sponsored, co-sponsored, or hosted event, webinar or when you access premium content (such as white papers, infographics, case studies, application brief, data sheet, etc.) including full name, job title or function, company name, department, email address, physical mailing address and country, telephone number, and event registration details; or
- Information provided when you purchase or register for the Services through an authorized re-seller, including your contact information, certain professional information, and products purchased.
Finally, we may use publicly accessible information, or purchase limited information, to verify any Personal Data in order to manage and expand our business. Publicly available includes information publicly available on professional networking sites, trade groups, or social media, which may include your full name, job title or function, company name, industry, email address, physical mailing address and country, and telephone number. Data purchased from a third party includes information purchased to validate and standardize account and contact information, to identify prospective customers, for email validation, for address validation, and for sponsorship or event coordination.
IV. How do we use your information?
Our primary purpose in the Processing of your Personal Data is the rendering of our Services to you or your employing entity. This also includes the Processing of your Personal Data to facilitate the sale and delivery of the Services to you or your employing entity, provide you or your employing entity with the Services, and for purposes related to optimizing your or your employing entity's use of the Services. In most cases, the lawful grounds for use of your Personal Data by Ansys will be that Processing: (i) is necessary for our fulfillment of our contractual obligations towards you or your employing entity (in the latter case we can reasonably rely on your employing entity acting within their legal possibilities when instructing you to get in contact with Ansys ("Contract") (ii) is necessary for our legitimate interests in carrying out our business, including to grow and improve our Services, provided those interests are not outweighed by your rights and interests (''Legitimate Interests''), or on rare occasions (iii) is based on your prior, explicit consent ("Consent"). In specific instances, we may also have a legal obligation to process your Personal Data ("Legal Obligation"). Where the processing of your Personal Data is based on your Consent, you have the right to withdraw the Consent, without such withdrawal affecting the legitimacy of the processing occurred so far.
Uses of Personal Data, can be attributed to the following lawful grounds:
To perform a Contract:
- To fulfil or meet the reason you provided the Personal Data (including in the course of the performance of your employment relationship with your employing entity).
- To provide the information, Services or support and related after-sales services and maintenance.
- To identify you and to contact you with Service updates, training or support options related to Services you or your employing entity have purchased.
- To plan, perform, and manage our relationship with you or your employing entity and to carry out any related administration.
To carry out our Legitimate Interests:
- To identify you for the purposes of ensuring compliance with the terms of license agreements.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your or your employing entity's account(s) with us.
- To communicate related to the Services, including using email, SMS, and social media platforms.
- For fraud detection and information security purposes.
- To monitor our sales and Services.
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Sites, Services, databases, technology assets, and business.
- To improve our Services and to tailor and personalize our Sites.
- For accuracy and to verify information with third parties as needed (such as export compliance).
- To carry out research, including market research, statistical research on site traffic, and sales and other commercial information to assist us in improving the Services.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding.
With your Consent:
- To provide personalized, targeted, or location-based content, services, and advertising from us, our Affiliates or Partners.
- To promote our Services or the services of our Partners.
- As described to you when collecting your Personal Data.
To fulfill a Legal Obligation:
- To identify you for compliance purposes, including usage, export and licensing.
- To detect, investigate and prevent activity we think may be potentially illegal, unlawful or harmful.
- To identify you and verify that both the Services and your or your employing entity's use of the Services are appropriately licensed. As permitted by applicable law if we believe that any Services are unlicensed, we may also share data with other companies and organizations to counter software theft, as well as with law enforcement or other regulatory bodies.
V. With whom do we share your information and for what purposes?
We may disclose your Personal Data to third parties to enforce our policies, to comply with our legal obligations or in the interests of security, fraud, public interest or in response to requests by law enforcement, regulatory or government authorities.
We may also disclose certain Personal Data in connection with actual or proposed litigation, or to protect our property, security, people and other legitimate rights or interests as allowed by law.
With regard to Personal Data collected in territorial scope of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ("GDPR") we will ensure that any international transfer of Personal Data will comply with the requirements of Chapter V of the GDPR. If you have questions in this regard or wish to see the legal instruments in place for specific third parties, please contact email@example.com.
While interacting with us, you may have the opportunity to consent to receive information and/or marketing offers, or to otherwise consent to the sharing of your Personal Data, including social media sites. If you provide consent, your Personal Data will be used and shared as described when you provided consent, and it will be governed by the privacy notices and business practices of any disclosed parties.
We share your Personal Data with our Service Providers who may be involved with various activities, such as : (a) hosting of our web servers, (b) data analysis about how our Services are used, (c) delivery and monitoring of marketing initiatives, (d) providing customer support services; (e) enforcement of license terms, or (f) payment processors. All Service Providers collect or have access to your Personal Data only as needed to perform the Service and are limited in their usage of your Personal Data for other purposes.
With regard to Personal Data collected in territorial scope of the GDPR, we will conclude data processing agreements with such Service Providers, where applicable.
When we: (a) collect your Personal Data that may be shared with any Business Partners; or (b) co-collect your Personal Data together with our Business Partners, additional notice will be provided at that time further explaining each party's collection practices. For example, when you select a hyperlink from a Site or advertisement from us or one of our Business Partners, general purchase information, contact information, and details about how you use the site, may be shared with both parties to analyze and improve delivery of services, customer experience, and marketing initiatives.
Depending on your geographic location or product interest, we may disclose your Personal Data to Channel Partners to facilitate the sale and delivery of the Services to you. Channel Partners are authorized resellers of Ansys products and services.
Third Party Sellers:
We may disclose your Personal Data to Third Party Sellers when you purchase, register, or download a Third-Party Seller product or service from the Sites, including the Ansys Store. Any information shared with a Third Party Seller will be limited to your contact information and information regarding the Third Party Seller product purchased or registered for via the Sites. When we collect your Personal Data that may be shared with a Third Party Seller additional notice will be provided at that time further explaining the processing of your Personal Data.
If we or any of our subsidiaries are sold, or some of our assets transferred to a third party, your Personal Data, as a valuable asset, may also be transferred to such third party. Our customer database could be sold separately from the rest of the business, in whole or in part. Potential purchasers and their advisors may have limited access to company data that includes Personal Data as part of a transaction. However, use of your Personal Data will remain subject to this Notice. Similarly, your Personal Data may be shared with a successor in interest in the unlikely event of a liquidation or bankruptcy proceedings.
VI. Third-party links
The servers used by third-party sites, including social media sites, may not be secure. Despite reasonable security measures taken by Ansys and our Service Providers, use of the internet is not secure and unlawful or unauthorized access to private transmissions or data is possible.
VII. How do we protect your information?
In considering the types of data we collect and the data activities we undertake in delivering the Site and Services, we have implemented reasonable and appropriate physical, technical and organizational measures to guard against unauthorized or unlawful access to your Personal Data. While no system is completely secure, we believe our measures reduce potential vulnerability to a level appropriate to the types of data processed.
In addition to our security measures, it remains your responsibility to protect your Personal Data by taking the following steps:
- where you have established an Ansys User Account, protect your unique password and username and do not use the same access credentials for other sites and services you may use;
- ensure that you log out of your Ansys User Account when finished;
- do not use unknown or unsecured Wi-Fi or shared access connections to enter or transmit Personal Data, including passwords and other access credentials;
- maintain good internet security, and promptly notify us if you believe your Ansys User Account or any accounts you've linked to your Ansys User Account have been compromised; and
- as with most information shared on the internet, please remember that information you share on the Site, such as by commenting on a blog post, may be indexable by search engines, including Google, which may mean that the information is made public. Do not post confidential or sensitive data while using Ansys sites or any of our Services.
VIII. Where is your Personal Data processed?
Your Personal Data may be processed and stored on our servers or on the servers of our Service Providers, in the United States or elsewhere. This means that when we collect your Personal Data, we may transfer and process this data in other countries, including countries other than the country in which you reside. While your Personal Data may be transferred to countries with data protection laws that differ from those that apply in your country, and in some cases may be less protective, we will take steps to ensure that your Personal Data is protected in compliance with applicable data protection law and this Notice. As necessary, we have implemented appropriate safeguards, including contractual obligations and approved data transfer mechanisms as required by law, such as the EU Standard Contractual Clauses where applicable, with our Service Providers and Partners with whom we share Personal Data. By using our Services or visiting our Sites, you consent to these processes, unless such consent is not permitted by or not valid pursuant to applicable law. If you have questions about these practices, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IX. What are cookies, web beacons and clear GIFs and why do we use them?
The Site and Services do not use technologies that respond to 'Do-Not-Track' signals communicated by your internet browser.
XII. Marketing communications
As outlined above, your Personal Data may be used to send you marketing information in accordance with the marketing preferences you select when providing your information. You may opt-out of receiving electronic marketing communications at any time by clicking the "unsubscribe" link located in each electronic marketing communication.
If you change your marketing preferences, it may take a short time for those preferences to become effective. Please remember, we have many options available to opt-in to receive different types of marketing communications, each with its unique opt-out path on the bottom if its communications. Meaning, if you elect to opt-out of receiving communications from the Ansys blog by selecting the "unsubscribe" button on the footer of the email, you may still receive communications from event marketing because that is a separate marketing communication for which you opted-in. If you also desire to also opt-out of Ansys event marketing, you simply must select the "unsubscribe" button on the footer of that email.
By opting-out of marketing communications, you will still continue to receive communications (including emails) related to your User Account and the Services, including product updates, trainings, and communications related to billing, maintenance, and support.
XIII. How long do we keep your information?
Notwithstanding any Data Subject Rights outlined below, we retain your Personal Data only as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Notice, or as permitted or required by applicable law. At the end of the applicable retention period, we may delete or deidentify your Personal Data, or, if deletion or deidentification is not possible or reasonable (for example, because your Personal Data has been stored in back-up archives), we will securely store your Personal Data separate from any further processing until deletion or destruction is possible.
XIV. Choice & Access
Many countries have varying data and privacy rights for individuals. If required by applicable law, we will address these requirements as follows:
- If you wish to correct or update the Personal Data that we retain about you, you may complete this form or contact email@example.com.
- If you have a statutory right and you wish to:
- Access certain Personal Data we retain about you
- Delete certain Personal Data we retain about you;
- Object to certain Processing (such as direct marketing) of your Personal Data;
- Request that we restrict certain processing of your Personal Data; or
- Request portability of your Personal Data,
If you elect to not use the above form, please ensure that your request provides enough detail to allow us to properly understand and respond to your inquiry. You may make a request two times in a twelve (12) month period.
Once we receive your request, we must validate your identity, which includes:
- For rights 2, 3, & 4 listed above: (a) Full Name & Physical Address; and (b) Email address & access to this email account.
- For rights 1 & 5: (a) Full Name & Physical Address; (b) Email address & access to this email account; and (c) details relating to your recent purchase, contact, or other engagement with Ansys.
Our goal is to respond to your request within thirty (30) days of receipt. If we need additional time or are unable to provide a response, we will explain why. Most responses will occur via email. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded.
- If we process your Personal Data based on your Consent, you may withdraw your Consent at any time. Please note, withdrawing Consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing of Personal Data prior to our receipt of your request or processing that does not rely upon your Consent.
- You may have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our Processing of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to requests in accordance with applicable data protection laws. We may refuse requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort, risk the privacy of others, may compromise and ongoing investigation, or are impractical. It is our policy to never discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
If you use assistive technology (such as a Braille reader, a screen reader, or TTY) and the format of any material on the Sites interferes with your ability to access information or perform any functions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To enable us to respond in a way most helpful to you, please describe the nature of your accessibility problem, the preferred format in which to receive the material, the specific Web address of the requested material, and your contact information.
We do not knowingly collect or process data from anyone under the age of thirteen (13) years old and the Sites and Services are not directed to children under the age of 13. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Data without your consent, you may alert us at email@example.com.
XVII. How do you contact us?
If you have questions about this Notice, please direct your inquiry to:
Attn: Global Privacy Officer
2600 Ansys Dr.
Canonsburg, PA 15317
XVIII. Special Provisions.
The following provisions are applicable to: (a) residents of the specifically named geographies; or (b) specific situations, and these provisions supersede any conflicting general statements made above.
Provisions applicable to Ansys License Compliance
As outlined in your or your employing entity's Service agreement and/or Software License Agreement, Ansys may process certain Personal Data to ensure compliance with the terms of those agreements and verify that both the Service and your or your employing entity's use of the Services are appropriately licensed. Ansys will use such Personal Data to determine if modifications to certain code files of the Services have been made or if there is suspected or confirmed unauthorized access to or use of the Services. Ansys's processing of such Personal Data for such purposes includes (i) the transfer of such Personal Data to certain Ansys Affiliates, Service Providers, and Technology Providers (each as defined in the applicable service agreement), and (ii) Ansys and our Affiliates, Service Providers, and Technology Providers collection, use, and storage of such Personal Data to administer and enforce our license compliance program.
A current list of Service Providers and Technology Providers involved in license compliance can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a listing of current Ansys Affiliates click here.
Provisions applicable to United States Residents from Nevada:
We do not currently, and we have no current plans to begin, selling (as defined in Nevada's Security and Privacy of Personal Information) your Personal Data for monetary payments without your consent. You may opt-out of any future selling of certain Personal Data for monetary payments by contacting email@example.com. When making this request, please include your full name, address and specific request.
Provisions applicable to United States Residents from California:
Consistent with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended (the "CCPA"): (a) job applicants, current and former employees, and independent contractors (collectively, "Personnel"); and (b) subjects of business-to-business communications acting solely as representatives of another business (collectively, "Business Representatives"), are not currently considered consumers for purposes of this Notice. Ansys is largely a "B2B Business," meaning that it provides products and services to mainly other businesses rather than to individuals directly. If you are a Business Representative or considered Personnel under the CCPA, many of the individual rights described in this Notice are currently inapplicable to you; and compliance relating to these areas may be addressed separately from this Notice.
For purposes of the CCPA, Personal Information does not include publicly available information or de-identified or aggregated information.
We do not currently, and we have no current plans to begin selling (as defined in the CCPA) your Personal Data. You may opt-out of any future selling of certain Personal Data by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. When making this request, please include your full name, address and specific request.
Within the previous twelve (12) months, we have collected the following categories of Personal Data (the "Categories") for a business purpose, and we may have disclosed: (a) categories A through H (listed below); and (b) your Personal Data, to Service Providers and vendors aiding us in monitoring fraud, misuse and illegal activity.
If you are a consumer under the CCPA and make a request from Section XIV(1) above, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Data we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Data we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting your Personal Data.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share your Personal Data.
- The specific pieces of Personal Data we collected about you.
A name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, IP address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
Personal Information Categories
Account information, education, employment, or necessary financial information.
Age, gender expression or sexual orientation.
Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
Internet or Similar Activity
Browsing history, search history, cookie information, communications information, and information on a consumer's interaction with the Sites and Services.
Professional & Employment
Current or past job title.
Inferences Drawn from Other Personal Information.
Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Shine the Light.
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Sites and Services that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com.