Design and Modeling of a Thermoplastic Composite Tail Cone for a Kinetic Energy Penetrator
• Design and FEA model developed while simple showed to be accurate enough to represent the complicated loading scenario.
• A successful full-cycle FEA design of a XM1002 training round utilizing LFT composite was demonstrated.
• The transition region was found to be the most critical condition during firing.
• The filled-back LFT tail cone was successful in meeting all the loading conditions
• LFT material has extremely low thermal conductivity. this makes the LFT polymer less prone to failure from temperature.
View Now (PDF)