As global demand has increased for a balanced energy mix that combines conventional and renewable sources — and as environmental regulations have tightened regarding emissions and greenhouse gases — the power generation industry has made its own advances in protecting the environment while meeting ever increasing demand. Power generation and utility companies are turning to advanced technology and innovation to reduce overall costs and incorporate new energy sources that decrease environmental impact. Today, global power generation is occurring via an array of diverse technologies, including heated fluids (chemical, combustion and nuclear fission), kinetic energy (wind, wave and hydro), direct conversion of chemical energy (fuel cells) and light energy (photovoltaic).
Engineering simulation for power generation adds value to engineering organization by significantly reducing the time and cost of designing, optimizing, trouble-shooting and repairing equipment. CFD for power generation and structural mechanics software for power generation from ANSYS enable these activities to occur in a virtual environment that combines ease of use with the advanced multidisciplinary technologies required by complex power generation equipment and associated processes. As global pressures mount, engineering simulation enables the industry to respond quickly by evaluating new designs and concepts, retrofitting existing plants, modifying equipment and processes, designing for industry standards, and increasing compliance with environmental regulations.
For decades, engineers have been using structural, fluid and electronic engineering software from ANSYS to address the complex fluid flow, heat transfer, electromagnetic, contact, rotardynamic and thermal problems associated with power generation equipment and processes. As an industry leader, ANSYS engineering simulation for power generation offer a breadth of engineering simulation tools that meet diverse engineering and design requirements — spanning electronic and heat generation technologies, plant design and component engineering for gas- and hydro-powered turbines, pollution control devices and other critical power generation technologies.
ANSYS solutions provide the power generation industry with a comprehensive virtual modeling tool that supports critical capabilities:
- Design of emission control systems for coal-fired power plants (NOx, SOx, mercury, CO2)
- Upgrades and next-generation designs for nuclear reactors (fuel systems, thermohydraulic technologies, spent fuel processes)
- Efficiency and reliability improvements for turbines (combined-cycle, cogeneration, gas/steam, hydropower, tidal, wind)
- Design of combustion and power generation equipment (low-NOx burners, boilers, furnaces, separators, scrubbers, SCRs, NSCRs)
- Modeling of vibration, fatigue and thermal stress in welded components, piping systems, connections, tanks, reactors and pressure vessels
- Design of wind power systems including turbine blades, components, electronic systems and towers
- Development of solar collection panels and storage systems
- Design of hydropower plants and surrounding waterways
- Analysis to support appropriate siting for wind and other renewable energy technologies, onshore and offshore