Minimizing the Impact of Erosion
Designing High-Reliability Oil and Gas Equipment
Sand erosion management is a challenge in oil and gas well exploitation and transport that is very complex and costly to monitor. Problems arise because
- Sand entrained in the carrying fluid impinges on the pipe and/or equipment walls and removes material, which leads to wear and premature mechanical failure.
- Erosion wears away the protective coating applied to metals to prevent corrosion.
- Erosion wear is a complex process dependent on a wide range of factors, such as configuration of the flow system, flow rate, composition and properties of the carrying fluid, loading, size and shape of entrained solid particles, and physical properties of the target material.
Watch the step-by-step demo that shows how to use ANSYS CFD Technology to accurately predict the impact of sand erosion in a pipe carrying a multiphase mixture of oil and gas.
ANSYS solutions offer accurate, robust and fast prediction of sand erosion, including:
- Validated single-phase and multiphase modeling capabilities for any type of oil and gas flow
- Validated solid-particle flow modeling capabilities for a wide range of sand particle sizes and loadings
- A wide array of industry-accepted erosion models, as well as the ability to include your proprietary erosion model if needed
- The ability to deform the pipe wall if erosion is affecting the flow pattern