High-performance computing (HPC) is an important consideration for academia. Complex research projects often involve simulating large assemblies, even entire systems which in turn demand considerable computational resources when rapid results are required. The widespread availability of multicore processors, even in laptops, allows for impressive performance gains for medium to large numerical problem sizes. The ANSYS Academic products meet these HPC requirements by providing two levels of HPC:
- Built-in HPC: For Teaching, Research and Associate level licenses HPC capability is built into each task of the Academic base licenses. For most physics solvers this is both shared and distributed memory HPC capability for up to sixteen cores, plus GPU access is enabled for ANSYS Mechanical, Fluent and electronics solvers.
- Add-on HPC: For Research and Associate level licenses, the built-in HPC capability can be extended by purchasing additional ANSYS Academic HPC licenses. For most physics solvers both shared and distributed memory HPC and GPU capability can be extended.
The ANSYS Academic product solvers support the same HPC methods provided by our commercial HPC products. So, for example, if the ANSYS Academic product contains ANSYS HFSS then the HPC methods available to the Academic HFSS product is the same as that for the commercial ANSYS HFSS product. It is also important to note, that the type of HPC available varies by solver and physics type, and not all solvers support all HPC methods. Please see the following PDF brochure and web page for more specific details of solver support for HPC:
All of the ANSYS Academic Products that bundle solvers that support HPC have sixteen HPC tasks built-in. These sixteen HPC tasks can be used for either a CPU core or a GPU card/slot. This means that up to sixteen CPU cores, or alternatively sixteen GPU cards can be used to accelerate simulation solution times.
Structural, Thermal & Fluids Academic Products
- Built-in HPC capability is allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of ANSYS Academic Research, each user/task can access up to sixteen cores, with a maximum of 16 cores available per solution.
- Shared memory (SMP), distributed memory parallel (DMP) and domain decomposition methods are included.
- GPU access is enabled for ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise (using the ANSYS Mechanical solver) and ANSYS Fluent solvers. Each of the 16 built-in HPC tasks can be used for one GPU card/slot, meaning that up to sixteen GPU cards/slots can be accessed per academic product license. Note that we do not restrict the number of GPU cores per GPU card/slot.
- Frequency Sweep VT and VT Accelerator is built-in and available for the ANSYS Mechanical solver. This is a legacy HPC frequency sweep solution that has been largely replaced by DesignXplorer and Design Point Updates.
- The following structural, thermal and fluids solvers support HPC:
- ANSYS CFX (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Fluent (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Mechanical solver (SMP, DMP, Domain Decomposition)
- ANSYS Autodyn (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Polyflow (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Icepak (SMP, DMP)
Electronics Academic Products
- Built-in HPC capability is not allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of ANSYS Academic Research HF, four hundred HPC tasks are built-in, so a single user can use all 400 HPC tasks, or alternatively 25 users can each use sixteen cores per solution.
- A legacy shared memory (SMP) multiprocessor capability is enabled, this can make use of any number of SMP cores, but does not scale well beyond sixteen cores. It has been largely superseded by other HPC methods.
- Distributed memory parallel (DMP) and domain decomposition methods are included.
- GPU access is enabled.
- The following electromagnetics solvers support HPC:
- ANSYS HFSS (SMP, Domain decomposition, Distributed frequency sweep)
- ANSYS Maxwell (SMP, Distributed frequency sweep)
- ANSYS Designer (SMP, Distributed frequency sweep)
- ANSYS Q3D (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS SIwave (SMP)
- ANSYS TPA (MP, Distributed PKG analysis)
- The Academic ANSYS Redhawk and ANSYS PowerArtist products do not use HPC at this time.
All ANSYS Academic Research and ANSYS Academic Associate products can extend their built-in HPC capability with add-on HPC licenses. ANSYS Academic Teaching products may not extend their built-in HPC capability. There are four types of add-on HPC product licenses as follows:
Add-on Academic HPC Product
Extends the built-in HPC of the
ANSYS Academic Associate HPC
ANSYS Academic Associate
ANSYS Academic Associate CFD
ANSYS Academic Research HPC
ANSYS Academic Research
ANSYS Academic Research CFD
ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical
ANSYS Academic Research Autodyn
ANSYS Academic Research Polyflow
ANSYS Academic Research Electronics Thermal
ANSYS Academic Associate Electronics HPC
ANSYS Academic Associate EM
ANSYS Academic Associate HF
ANSYS Academic Research Electronics HPC
ANSYS Academic Research EM
ANSYS Academic Research HF
One task of ANSYS Academic Research/Associate HPC extends the base HPC ability of any one of the solvers that supports HPC that is contained in the base product (see built-in HPC section for more details of what HPC methods are available for each solver). Each task adds another core.
Both SMP, DMP and domain decomposition methods are extended to additional cores by the add-on HPC academic products. Please see the built-in HPC section above for specifics about what bundled solvers support what type of HPC.
For the structural, thermal and fluids academic products, the add-on HPC licenses can be used to extend the GPU capability provided by the built-in HPC tasks. Each add-on HPC license (task) can be used to access either a CPU core or a GPU card/slot.
|Category & Product Name||Has Built in HPC?||Can use add-on Academic HPC licenses?||Can use add-on Academic Electronics HPC licenses?|
|Academic Multiphysics Campus Solutions|
|ANSYS Academic Multiphysics Campus Solution||YES||YES||YES|
|Mechanical and Fluids|
|ANSYS Academic Associate Mechanical and CFD||YES||YES||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Associate CFD||YES||YES||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Associate Electronics Suite||YES||N/A||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate HF||YES||N/A||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate EM||YES||N/A||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate RedHawk||NO||N/A||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Associate PowerArtist||NO||N/A||NO|
|Mechanical and Fluids|
|ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical and CFD||YES||YES||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical||YES||YES||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Research CFD||YES||YES||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Research Polyflow||YES||YES||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Research Electronics Thermal||YES||YES||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Research LS-DYNA||NO||NO1||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Research Electronics Suite||YES||N/A||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research HF||YES||N/A||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research EM||YES||N/A||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research RedHawk||NO||N/A||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Research PowerArtist||NO||N/A||NO|
|Mechanical and Fluids|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Mechanical and CFD||YES||NO||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Mechanical||YES||NO||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching CFD||YES||NO||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Electronics Suite||YES||N/A||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching HF||YES||N/A||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching EM||YES||N/A||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching RedHawk||NO||N/A||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching PowerArtist||NO||N/A||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Meshing Tools||NO||N/A||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Fuel Cell Tools||NO||N/A||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic EKM Shared||NO||N/A||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Composite Tools||NO||N/A||N/A|
1. ANSYS Academic Research LS-DYNA can add HPC capability with the ANSYS Academic Research LS-DYNA HPC product.