All of the ANSYS Academic Products that bundle solvers that support HPC have four HPC tasks built-in. These four HPC tasks can be used for either a CPU core or a GPU card/slot. This means that up to four CPU cores, or alternatively four GPU cards can be used to accelerate simulation solution times.
Structural, Thermal & Fluids Academic Products
- Built-in HPC capability is allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of ANSYS Academic Research, each user/task can access up to four cores, with a maximum of 4 cores available per solution.
- Shared Memory (SMP), Distributed Memory Parallel (DMP) and Domain Decomposition methods are included.
- GPU access is enabled for ANSYS Mechanical and ANSYS Fluent solvers. Each of the four built-in HPC tasks can be used for 1 GPU card/slot, meaning that up to four GPU cards/slots can be accessed per academic product license. Note that we do not restrict the number of GPU cores per GPU card/slot.
- Frequency Sweep VT and VT Accelerator is built-in and available for the ANSYS Mechanical APDL solver. This is a legacy HPC frequency sweep solution that has been largely replaced by DesignXplorer and Design Point Updates.
- The following structural, thermal and fluids solvers support HPC:
- ANSYS CFX (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Fluent (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Mechanical (SMP, DMP, Domain Decomposition)
- ANSYS Autodyn (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Polyflow (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Icepak (SMP, DMP)
Electronics Academic Products
- Built-in HPC capability is not allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of ANSYS Academic Research HF, one hundred HPC tasks are built-in, so a single user can use all 100 HPC tasks, or alternatively 25 users can each use 4 cores per solution.
- A legacy shared memory (SMP) multiprocessor capability is enabled, this can make use of any number of SMP cores, but does not scale well beyond 4 cores. It has been largely superseded by other HPC methods.
- Distributed Memory Parallel (DMP) and Domain Decomposition methods are included.
- No GPU access is enabled.
- The following electromagnetics solvers support HPC:
- ANSYS HFSS (SMP, Domain Decomposition, Distributed Frequency Sweep)
- ANSYS Maxwell (SMP, Distributed Frequency Sweep)
- ANSYS Designer (SMP, Distributed Frequency Sweep)
- ANSYS Q3D (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS SIwave (SMP)
- ANSYS TPA (MP, Distributed PKG analysis)