High-performance computing (HPC) is an important consideration for academia. Complex research projects often involve simulating large assemblies, even entire systems which in turn demand considerable computational resources when rapid results are required. The widespread availability of multicore processors, even in laptops, allows for impressive performance gains for medium to large numerical problem sizes. The ANSYS Academic products meet these HPC requirements by providing two levels of HPC:
- Built-in HPC: For Teaching, Research & Associate level licenses HPC capability is built into each task of the Academic base licenses. For most physics solvers this is both shared & distributed memory HPC capability for up to four cores, plus GPU access is enabled for ANSYS Mechanical & ANSYS Fluent solvers.
- Add-on HPC: For Research & Associate level licenses, the built-in HPC capability can be extended by purchasing additional ANSYS Academic HPC licenses. For most physics solvers both shared & distributed memory HPC capability can be extended.
The ANSYS Academic product solvers support the same HPC methods as provided by our commercial HPC products. So for example, if the ANSYS Academic product contains ANSYS HFSS then the HPC methods available to the Academic HFSS product is the same as for the commercial ANSYS HFSS product. It is also important to note, that the type of HPC available varies by solver & physics type, and not all solvers support all HPC methods. Please see the following PDF brochure & web page for more specific details of solver support for HPC:
|Can extend HPC
|ANSYS Academic Associate||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate CFD||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate HF||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate EM||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research CFD||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Autodyn||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Electronics Thermal||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Offshore/Marine1||NO||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Research Polyflow||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research LS-DYNA||NO||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Research HF||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research EM||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Advanced||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Introductory||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Mechanical||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching CFD||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching HF||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching EM||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Meshing Tools||NO||NO|
|ANSYS Academic CFD Turbo Tools||NO||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Fuel Cell Tools||NO||NO|
All of the ANSYS Academic Products that bundle solvers that support HPC have four core HPC capability built-in. This means that up to 4 CPU cores can be used to accelerate simulation solution times. For the structural, thermal & fluids academic products:
- Built-in HPC capability is allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of ANSYS Academic Research, each user/task can access up to four cores, with a maximum of 4 cores available per solution.
- Shared Memory (SMP), Distributed Memory Parallel (DMP) and Domain Decomposition methods are included.
- GPU access is enabled for ANSYS Mechanical & ANSYS Fluent solvers, allowing one GPU card to be used per academic product license. We do not restrict the number of GPU cores per GPU card.
- Frequency Sweep VT & VT Accelerator is built-in and available for the ANSYS Mechanical APDL solver. This is a legacy HPC frequency sweep solution that has been largely replaced by DesignXplorer & Design Point Updates.
- The following structural, thermal & fluids solvers support HPC:
- ANSYS CFX (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Fluent (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Mechanical (SMP, DMP, Domain Decomposition)
- ANSYS Autodyn (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Polyflow (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS Icepak (SMP, DMP)
For the electromagnetics academic products:
- Built-in HPC capability is not allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of ANSYS Academic Research HF, one hundred HPC tasks are built-in, so a single user can use all 100 HPC tasks, or alternatively 25 users can each use 4 cores per solution.
- A legacy shared memory (SMP) multiprocessor capability is enabled, this can make use of any number of SMP cores, but does not scale well beyond 4 cores. It has been largely superseded by other HPC methods.
- Distributed Memory Parallel (DMP) and Domain Decomposition methods are included.
- No GPU access is enabled.
- The following electromagnetics solvers support HPC:
- ANSYS HFSS (SMP, Domain Decomposition, Distributed Frequency Sweep)
- ANSYS Maxwell (SMP, Distributed Frequency Sweep)
- ANSYS Designer (SMP, Distributed Frequency Sweep)
- ANSYS Q3D (SMP, DMP)
- ANSYS SIwave (SMP)
- ANSYS TPA (MP, Distributed PKG analysis)
All ANSYS Academic Research and ANSYS Academic Associate products can extend their built-in HPC capability with add-on HPC licenses. ANSYS Academic Teaching products may not extend their built-in HPC capability. There are four types of add-on HPC product licenses as follows:
Add-on Academic HPC Product
Extends the built-in HPC of the following base product(s)
ANSYS Academic Associate HPC
ANSYS Academic Associate
ANSYS Academic Associate CFD
ANSYS Academic Research HPC
ANSYS Academic Research
ANSYS Academic Research CFD
ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical
ANSYS Academic Research Autodyn
ANSYS Academic Research Polyflow
ANSYS Academic Research Electronics Thermal
ANSYS Academic Associate Electronics HPC
ANSYS Academic Associate EM
ANSYS Academic Associate HF
ANSYS Academic Research Electronics HPC
ANSYS Academic Research EM
ANSYS Academic Research HF
One task of ANSYS Academic Research/Associate HPC extends the base HPC ability of any one of the solvers that supports HPC that is contained in the base product (see built-in HPC section for more details of what HPC methods are available for each solver). Each task adds another core.
Both SMP, DMP & Domain Decomposition methods are extended to additional cores by the add-on HPC academic products. Please see the Built-in section above for specifics about what bundled solvers support what type of HPC.
For the structural, thermal & fluids academic products, the “add-on” HPC licenses do not extend GPU capability, as GPU access it is already enabled with the built-in HPC capability (see built-in HPC section).