ANSYS Academic products are used by thousands of universities and colleges in over 60 countries, with tens of thousands of users globally. The reason? ANSYS provides outstanding value, laying the foundation for educational and other opportunities that arise from using best-in-class engineering simulation tools. The low-cost, high-performance bundles of ANSYS simulation technology include structural, thermal, fluid dynamics, explicit dynamics, electromagnetics and multiphysics solvers, ANSYS Workbench, CAD import tools, solid modeling, advanced meshing, and post-processing features.
The ANSYS Academic program also offers student team sponsorship, research partnership opportunities, training, support and curriculum development.
The ANSYS Academic products are packaged differently from commercial products — a concept that relates to product names and features as well as whether add-on modules are included, excluded or simply limited:
- An academic product is a bundle of analysis technology, often incorporating many commercial products and add-on modules. Some of the academic products have more than 10 commercial products bundled.
- Academic product names and license files are different from commercial products.
- A single academic product license may contain multiple tasks (typically 1, 5, 25 or 50 tasks). Each task maps to a separate user.
ANSYS provides a highly scalable portfolio of academic products based on several usage tiers:
- Teaching – high-quality simulation technology to ensure students receive the best possible education and hands-on experience; tools can be leveraged to attract and retain students in a crowded secondary education market
- Research - provides graduates and researchers with access to high-fidelity simulation tools that improve results accuracy and efficiency, leading to
- Toolbox - for more-specialized pre-processing and solver concerns, such as meshing or turbomachinery-specific applications
Each tier includes a range of high-value noncommercial products that bundles broad physics and advanced coupled-field (multiphysics) solver capabilities. In addition, an academic toolbox addresses.
The ANSYS Academic product portfolio is divided into two categories:
- Structural-Fluid Dynamics Academic Products - which offers structural mechanics, explicit dynamics, fluid dynamics and thermal simulation capability.
- RF and Electromagnetic Academic Products - which offers high-frequency, signal integrity, RF, microwave and electromagnetic engineering simulation capability.
The ANSYS Academic products are derived directly from commercial product variants. When a new ANSYS release is launched (such as ANSYS 14.0), it includes both commercial and academic components. From a user perspective, academic products offer the same look and feel as commercial products. For example, a user accessing the ANSYS Multiphysics capability bundled with an academic product will have the same GUI, workflow, pre-processing, post-processing and solver as the commercial product. In many cases, an academic user will actually have access to more capability than the average commercial user. The ANSYS philosophy is to provide academia with very high value bundles of analysis technology without the need to purchase multiple products.